“Learning for Life”
The Higher School of Economics (HSE) - one of the most prestigious public universities in Russia and Eastern Europe - was founded in 1992 to meet the challenges arising from the new economic and political situation of the country. It obtained National University status in 2009.
Focusing its activities on the values of freedom, transparency and innovation, HSE’s mission is to advance Russia's global competitiveness by providing high quality education and conducting state of the art research in economics, social science, information and computer science, and humanities. Among other objectives, it has the following aspirations:
- To be a place of study for the most talented high school graduates from Russia and abroad in internationally competitive degree programs,
- To be a global leader of research and development in the field of transition economies and societies,
- To develop project and consulting work at the level of the world's best think tanks and development agencies both in the quality of projects and in their geographical coverage,
- To foster an enabling environment for capacity development and to provide targeted support for research advancement,
- To create an infrastructure for research and education equivalent to the world's top universities.
HSE is organised around 4 campuses (Moscow, St-Petersburg, Nizhny Novgorod and Perm). The faculty includes 4,100 teachers and researchers who work in 47 faculties and schools, 74 research centres and 16 international scientific laboratories.
As a leading center for continuing education and professional training in Russia, HSE offers a wide range of intensive and flexible postgraduate and continuing education programs and courses. HSE serves as a knowledge and resource hub for other Russian universities and for many businesses organizing a range of short-term courses and running a number of MBA, DBA, EMBA, MPA programs in management, finance, marketing, journalism, law, communications, and business informatics attended by over 20,000 students.
HSE is very open to the world and has developed a network of strategic partnerships and alliances in particular with the World Bank OECD, the Woodrow Wilson Centre, the European Commission, the United Nations, UNESCO and such prestigious universities as Stanford (USA), Panthéon-Sorbonne (France), the Duisenberg School of Finance (the Netherlands), the London School of Economics (Great Britain) and the University of Laval (Canada).